Monday, July 14, 2008

The news slows, people forget...

Locally, where I live, there has been a marked increase in the recreational use of a purer, more dangerous form of heroin. Small heroin rings have been busted as close as 8 miles from my home. A young girl of 18 overdosed shortly after her graduation last month, in the town I moved from last year. A young man, from a "good" family (as if it matters...) in that same neighborhood was arrested over the weekend for possession and intent to sell heroin. A boy we knew from the area, had been clean for a good year or two when the Prince was actively using, bonce brought my drunken, pilled up, passed out son safely to our home. I read two weeks ago that this kid was arrested for selling heroin.

Heroin was not my sons DOC. He used it a few times that I know of. (key words- THAT I KNOW OF) One time included an almost fatal overdose. The Prince's current poison is alcohol.

But basically, where I was trying to go with this, is that our newspapers, sort of kind of reported these stories some where deep within there pages. Articles that included information that was given to local school districts to be aware of this ever increasing LOCAL problem. That the schools should be more involved, more informed, in closed communication with the parents when they see a kid is in trouble. To take the shame out of this and bring it to the dinner table. That bad things DO happen to good kids. You know, the kind of things those of us with addicts as children have been screaming about for years.

My question is this. Why oh why does the birth of Brangelinas twins get front page coverage and this stuff just gets buried somewhere deep within the paper? I mean seriously folks, am I the only one who could give a damn less about these babies and the millions of dollars their first photos will fetch??

8 comments:

Lou said...

Kel,it needed to said, thanks.
My theory on the heroin news is this-I live in a highly rated school district.Of course it's as drug rampant as any other. Many people look up school district ratings when they are coming from out of town,or another part of town.A realtor told me these ratings are very important for school funding, real estate values,and the community tax base.
I feel that is a significant factor (money,money)in keeping this news under the radar.
It sucks (and pisses me off too).

Patricia Marie said...

I had that same thought after I saw the headlines about the birth for the tenth time in two days.

Beth Blair said...

Oh I'm sick of that news too...

John Donation said...

I didnt even know they were expecting. I bet I would love heroin.

mother of drug addict said...

They hide cause no want wants to admit thats its as big of problem as it is, especially not in their town!! And where where the newpapers when my kids were born they were every bit as cute if not more so ! (ok im biased) LOL

Jaqui said...

i just seen an article in the paper where I live about the rise in Heroin. They are saying it's on the rise because of the prescription painkiller abuse and its easier and cheaper to get heroin.

P.S. I also totally agree w/Mother of Drug Addict. LMAO!!!

Syd said...

I don't care if I ever see Brad or Angelina in a movie or otherwise. They are the flavor du jour. And this too shall pass.

Pammie said...

Some things are pretty (babies) and make it into the paper.
Some things are ugly (Heroin) and don't.
As soon as all the newspapers and newscasters children become heroin addicts......we will get an over abundance of news on the subject.